Sunday, January 17, 2010

Does anybody know how to convince a parent about getting a dog?

The reason why I can't a get a pet is because my dad had a dog when he was a child and uhhh.... uhhhh... it got hit by a speeding car.And he keeps playing the ';Even if we did get you a dog you wouldn't take care of it';card and it is really getting woresome.And I think I'm right when I say this but even though my dad had a rough experiance with a dog doesn't meen he should keep my mom,my sister,and I from having a dog.


So does somebody have tips.If you do I beg of you to give them to me.Does anybody know how to convince a parent about getting a dog?
Well, dealing with parents is always easiest if you have a calm, logical argument, and if you present it at a time when the conversation is unlikely to escalate into an emotional conflict. As soon as tempers rise, you've lost because they will be unlikely to ';give in'; once it has become a fight rather than a discussion.





Give them some time to cool off (it sounds like you've been discussing it lately), maybe a couple of weeks or so. Then present it to them again at a good time, maybe after dinner (while you are washing the dishes? :-)). Tell them what it would mean to you. Don't act like you have a God-given right to it, but rather acknowledge that its their house it will be living in and their money that will be spent on it and that they have a right to have concerns. You're ready to address those concerns and work with them on them though. If they've raised issues in the past (like the argument that you wouldn't take care of it), have a solution to these issues that focuses not on convincing them they are wrong, but rather on acknowledging and offering a solution to the problem.





Consider these two responses to ';you wouldn't take care of it anyway!';





1. ';Yes I would!';





2. ';I know that I'm young and I let the goldfish die (or whatever), but I'm commited to this and I'm ready to accept the responsibility. I've been reading about how to go about training a puppy, and how much attention they require, and I'm up to the challenge.';





I know #2 might not sound like something that would come naturally out of your mouth, but I guarantee you that's the type of stuff parents would like to hear.





Above all: don't lose your cool, or it just ain't gonna happen.





Good luck!





Oh yeah, one addendum: DON'T try to guilt trip your Dad with the argument about him taking his past experiences out on you. This is exactly the type of thing that's going to create negative feelings and shut the whole process down.Does anybody know how to convince a parent about getting a dog?
Ask if you can have a little pet, like a fish. Then take really good care of it - feed it and clean its tank without being asked. After a few months, you'll have shown your parents that you can take care of a pet, and they might be more likely to let you have a dog.
Always say that you take ALL the work. Make a point about picking up Poop. that works.
Okay, this here's a secret that will work. find what kind of dog you want then tell him that the pound will kill him if no one would take it. then, if you dad has a heart, he will most certinly say yes. i just lost my dog two weeks ago, so i kinda understand what he means.

No comments:

Post a Comment