Saturday, January 23, 2010

What is your view on this debate: Who should pay for college? The Student or the Parent?

Is it the student's responsibility to work throughout high school and college, and apply for scholarships and loans to pay for his or her own education, or is it the responsibliity of the parent to ensure that their child is covered?What is your view on this debate: Who should pay for college? The Student or the Parent?
think its the responsibility of both the parent of the child to pay for collage but i also think that parents should try to ensure that their child is covered so its not a burden to the parent or childWhat is your view on this debate: Who should pay for college? The Student or the Parent?
Be responsible and become an independent student, you get more benefits that way and will pay less. Check out the school's policies on that. You may have to live on your own for a year or maybe even 6 months. If your parents can't afford it, then if it's something you want THAT bad...you should grow up, show your parents you have some responsibility and do this on your own. Many colleges even offer a work program. Check out scholarship websites because they have them for things like being left handed or having a job at McDonald's or disabilities like ADD, ADHD, and autism. There is a scholarship for just about everything. Pell grants also will kick in a good amount too. You are better off doing this on your own.
Technically, the parent has no obligation to support their kid's post-high school education. You're 18.





My dad always told me my whole life that he would pay for my college, and especially stressed that when I was in high school. But, by the time college rolled around he never made good on that promise - I took out student loans and paid for [[and I'm still paying]] my college myself. I worked full time during college also.





I think if the parent wants to contribute, then the student should be especially grateful. But the student shouldn't automatically expect his/her parent to do that.





When I have kids, I would like to start a college savings fund for them. I want to help them pursue higher education as much as I can... but I may not be able to pay for all of it [[depends on financial circumstances of the time]].
It could just be a matter of finances, if they don't have the money it doesn't matter whether they want to pay for you to go to college or not.


If you can do it without being judgmental or accusatory you should ask them in a casual way that you were wondering if they were going to be


able, be able , not just will they , be able to help you with college expenses.
It's not any LAW that parents must pay for a child's education. However, most parents will if they have the money. Personally, I would love for my future child(ren) to enjoy high school without working ( or maybe have a part-time job for spending money ) like I did, and concentrate on their studies, so that they can get a full scholarship.. like I did.





College is ex-pen-sive. If parents have the money, I personally feel that they should pay or at least help. It really sucks to be fresh out of college and already owe tens of thousands of dollars in loans...
I think that it is the responsibility of the student to work hard academically and in extracurricular activities in order to pursue and apply for scholarships, however parents are held responsible for paying for college should they be unable to obtain scholarships/grants. Unless the student was living on their own and paying their own bills prior to admission to college, they are considered a dependent of the parents. This is why the parents information is required on the FAFSA form. Another option of course is to get student loans.
It depends how hard the student worked in high school to really show interest in going to college and also how much money the parents have. Scholarships are offered for those who have made a commitment in going to college. It all starts with the student.
Scholarships.

No comments:

Post a Comment