Thursday, January 21, 2010

How long do baby convicts stay with parent?

we have an adult convict that spits out a lot of babies every once in a while and then sucks them up. I guess that is normal I don't know. How long do they do that before the babies are big enough to be on their own?How long do baby convicts stay with parent?
I had convicts for a couple of years and they never caried the babies in their mouths. They would sort of herd the babies over into one area of the tank, and usually only one parent would raise them, and would drive the other parent away until the babies got bigger.





I usually kept them about 2 months before rehoming them. They were already eating flakes and wouldn't have needed the parents for protection as long as they were the only ones in the tank, but I noticed that the longer I kept the babies, the longer it would be before the parents bred again. Of course if you keep them too long, the babies get old enough to breed :-) The parents will not eat the babies, even when they get to be a fairly good size.





My convicts used to have about 100 fry at a time, or at least that's how many survived. I finally got rid of them and got blood parrots, who can't reproduce, because I got tired of always having so many baby fish.
  • mascara eye liner
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment