Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How many of you have a parent that is 40 years older than you. How has it been?

My husband was 40 when our son was born last year. Its great now because we are more financially secure than ever, but sometimes I wonder what it might be like for him to be 20 with a 60 year old dad. I was 26 when he was born.How many of you have a parent that is 40 years older than you. How has it been?
My mom was 35 when I was born, my dad was 38. I'm forty seven, so back then it was a little unusual, except in my neighborhood, where there were lots of big catholic families. Many of the moms had children into their late 30's and 40's. I don't think there is anything wrong with having children later. Although I didn't know any different, I don't think it's the same experience as having a younger parent. There are pluses and minuses to both. My dad's parents were in their late 30's when he was born. I never knew my paternal grandfather. My paternal grandmother died when I was very young. My maternal grandparents were also ';older parents';. They lived to be quite old. They were both born in Europe before 1900. The advantage to that was that I learned a lot about recent history. The disadvantage was that they didn't want to do some of the things a 60 year old grandparent might, taking the grandkids for a week or physically playing.





As for my parents, it was what I knew, and age is to some extent, a state of mind. My mom was an serious athlete until she became ill with cancer in her 70's. My dad is 85 and going strong. Yes, they were old fashioned in some ways, but not in others. I had the gift of more time with my parents. I had the monetary advantages my (much) older sisters didn't. But my dad will never let me forget his history, growing up poor in the depression and WWII., so I don't think that made me spoiled. I was raised to appreciate what we had.





I don't think your son will mind his dad being 60 when he's 20. There are lots of 40 year old dads out there. 60 isn't that old these days. My mom once told me that the advantage to having children in your 20's is that you have more energy. The advantage to having them later is that you have more patience. Trust me, I know that's true, my dad was much easier on me than on my oldest sister. Your son will have the advantage of both. You are in your 20's. Your husband is 40.How many of you have a parent that is 40 years older than you. How has it been?
My mom was forty-three, and my dad was forty-six when they adopted me. I am their only child. Honestly, it didn't really affect me negatively when I was a teenager, and when they were in their fifties. They loved me, and I loved them. They played sports with me. They came to my games and were invested in my academic life. They came to friends' houses for dinner, and had good relationships with my friends and my friends' parents. They were great parents. A lot of people think that kids with older parents as teenagers would not feel connected with their parents, but it's untrue. I had a great relationship with my parents as teenagers, and they had a great relationship with me.
i can answer this, my mother and father was 40 and 41 when i was born, my sister was 14 years old, my natural sister, my mother and i was very close, she babied me alot more so that you can imagine, i loved growing up with my parents because i got everything i wanted the only thing that they did as a mistake was they never told me the facts of life, they hid me from violence and hid me away from natural realization of society, when i graduated from high school my dad was 64 and my mom was 63, some people and kids thought they were my grandparents and my sister was my mom, but i set them straight and my teachers were my parents friends from high school, and that was a help, my parents taught me alot about how to proper drink, how to proper date a guy, how to properly not have sex until i was married, i love their advice, before it was hell when i was young, because i wanted all those things that the other kids had, well when i, graduated, they retired and moved to another state i got married, then adventually moved back in with them, they love me and we have a great relationship, my mom died, and now i help my dad i have a son, and my dad had alzhimers, so i help him alot, the only thing and another thing is MOM ALWAYS DID THINGS FOR ME, SHE NEVER TAUGHT ME ANYTHING ABOUT WORK FORCE, HOW THE REAL WORLD IS, WHEN I HAD TO WORK, I GOT FIRED SO MANY TIMES BECAUSE ALL I WANTED WAS TO BE HOME, WHEN I WAS MARRIED I ASSUMED MY HUSBAND WOULD TAKE CARE OF MEBUT HE DID NOT, SEE ALL MY LIFE, EVEN MAKING A SIMPLE BED, MY PARENTS HAD TO TEACH ME WHEN I GOT MARRIED, AND FIGHT AND FOUGHT, MY MOTHER GOT SO MAD AT ME, BECAUSE I NEVER WAS YELLED AT JUST BECAUSE I DID IT WRONG, SOO MY ADVICE IS LOVE YOUR KID BUT TELL HIM OR HER THE FACTS
I was adopted, I am 25 now, but my mom is 63 and my dad is 73. Yeah, it was rough growing up because not only is my dad older, but his grandmother raised him. He is *extremely* old fashioned. Not to mention he is the pastor of our church. So you can imagine what they thought when I turned up pregnant at 17...
My parents were 39 and 40 when I was born (20 years after my oldest brother). My mom died of a heart attack 15 days before I turned 10 but my dad lived into his mid 80s. My one brother and also my one sister being so much older than me was the only weird part of the situation.
its not that unusual ..40 today isnt old


people are living healthier more productive lives %26amp; living longer than 30 yrs ago


I had older parents they werent as active and health conscious as I am with my family 'Im 46 people think Im 32.. I plan on keeping it up


my kids are 27 22 16 17 10 and 9
My husband was 42 and I was 38 when our daughter was born. She is almost 14 now.





Our ages are perfectly normal to her, because that's what she has grown up with. And so it will be with your husband and son.





All the best.
My father was 44 when I was born. Considering I never wanted for anything, I think having an older father is great. And, it's becoming increasingly popular.
My parents where in their early 20s when they had me. I cant imagine your age could make much of a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment