Thursday, May 13, 2010

As a parent are you completely against your teenage son or daughter drinking?

i know for sure that you are. but like casual drinking at home or at a trusted friends house knowing they are safe are you still against it?As a parent are you completely against your teenage son or daughter drinking?
My family is Italian, It's a different culture and set of beliefs. Although we all live in Canada now, it doesn't change anything.





Bottom line is, any teen will and is going to sneak behind your back to do a little drinking or something else you may not entirely approve of. Instead of sweating over that, why not worry about instilling good values and qualities into your kids to know they will always make the right decision even in the not-so-right situations. I would never drink and drive and I don't drink in excess to the point where I lose judgment or black out.





I still had to wait my turn, I'm sixteen now, and when we have big family get togethers, everyone has a glass of red wine, except the younger kids, but I for one enjoy wine altogether and am completely interested in the process of making it as well. Not to mention it enhances the flavor of food. After dinner we will all gather around and chat, then singing will start to break out, the usual Italian family stuff. And after that all the adults will indulge and have a few drinks, the younger group of us, usually 15-18 will enjoy a couple drinks, and it's just a fun night all together. But that being said, coming from a european heritage, We all know our limits, we all know not to drink until it becomes dangerous and nobody ever drinks and drives as we always make sure there are a couple desginated drivers at the get together to get everyone home safely.





Alcohal isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as it is consumed in safe amounts. As I said, red wine has many benefits as well. People always assume because we are teenagers that we are all irresponsible and will go get ourselves killed, but the truth is, it's really up to the parents and how they raised their kids that decides whether they are going to make the right or wrong decisions.





Back in Italy, there really isn't a legal drinking age in a lot of places, well there is, but it's young and isn't utilized too often.





If my Grandpa was still alive and you were to ask him how to cure your infants tooth ache, he would hand you a shot of whiskey. Not that that's technically right, but it's funny nonetheless! My Grandpa was quite the character.. as are many Italians.As a parent are you completely against your teenage son or daughter drinking?
I am not against it, teenage drinking is a reality today; and while there should be consequences, I want my children to feel like they can call me for help if they need to. I'd much rather they were not sneaking around and driving drunk. Parents who think their child wont drink at all are completely oblivious. They really don't understand the reality of high school.





I see two options, lock your kids in the house and let them have no fun, or know what they are doing and do your best to keep them safe. The real issue in my opinion is what to do if you know your kid is at house where the parents don't allow drinking. You can't lie to those parents.
Growing up I was always allowed to try a sip of my moms wine at dinner. I don't like wine, but I did like some of the fruity drinks that would be available at Christmas. I would always have a bit and that was it. It's perfectly legal because my mom was there and it wasn't much (the law states a certain level, but it results from a couple of sips). I am 19 and have never had more than a glass of alcohol and I've always had it while in the company of my mom (except once when my sister offered me a sip of her drink). I like some drinks but I'm not a big fan overall.





I plan on doing the same with my kids. I will never, by any means, let them drink more than a glass and absolutely never get drunk. I know parents who do that and it's pathetic. But trying it won't hurt them. I'd rather them be open with me rather than sneaking swigs behind my back.
No, I am not totally against it, my parents let me drink from the age of 12! This was too young, but, in the same token, now I drink once every few months, (when I am not pregnant)


I am aware my children are going to try it regardless of what I say, so I would rather let them have a drink with their meal, or on special occasions when I am there. I would not let them do this though until they have finished school!
Yes always against teenage drinking. First of all it is illegal and second of all I don't want my teenage son doing things like that because alcohol can cause so many problems in anyones life let alone a teenager. Alcohol is addictive and makes people do crazy things for example crashing a car and doing other stupid things that teenagers do not need to be a part of.
Well, I am not a parent, but my mom would not let me no matter what. She doesn't want me to drink at 21.





Well also my dad had some drinking problems (he is okay now), it is why they are not together any more





And my step dad told me the rules, also, ';there will be NO drinking';
Well teens in the uk can drink and buy alcohol at the age of 18.. I don't see the problem with it really... if kids are kept under supervision to ensure they don't get too out of it or do anything silly then whats the problem?





I'd rather have them doing it under my roof than somewhere they can get up to all sorts... it's a proven fact in places like italy where 12 yr olds have alcohol regurally with meals and things there is less temptation to sneak around and abuse alcohol.. there is little or no binge drinking culture there
I am not a parent I am 23 and my parent would let us taste beer at the house if we were curious. I think that it helped to take away the sneaking around factor.





As long as its your kid and they are on your property it's legal for them to drink.
I think that at a responsible parent can properly teach a teenager to drink. By letting them experiment at home, they will learn the consequences early, and most likely be more responsible with alcohol in the future.
Yes, i'm against it because they are under age. With good supervision and good values instilled, there should be no problem with them drinking behind your back.
yes.......are we gonna let them smoke crack cos they're 'under our supervision' also?





What's safe about drinking?? Are people only able to have fun when they're drunk, is that how we're raising our children??
Yes I am, drinking is not for teenagers. Though if they must drink I prefer them doing it at our house rather than somewhere else.
Yes utterly and completely.
i think that it is okay for them to drink a little whine or beer under supervision, only under supervision.
Yes, no ifs, ands or buts
some guy on the bus i take in the morning was talking about this too, you arent that guy are you?
My husband and I have wine with dinner a few times a week. If my kids want some, I wouldn't care.
my kid can get twistedd for all i care

No comments:

Post a Comment