Thursday, May 13, 2010

How do i comfort someone who has lost a parent?

My boyfriend lost his mom 2 years ago, when he talks to me about it, i am left speechless, i don`t know how to respond.. =(


i feel useless.. i want to be there for him .. %26amp; i want him to know that he can talk to me. He told me he was very angry a couple months ago, everything set him off... i just don`t know how to deal with this.How do i comfort someone who has lost a parent?
Just listening is a big help. It will get easier for him as time goes on. I have lost two children so I know a bit about loss. My son was killed October 31st of 2004 and I didn't think I could make it through my grief and come out with a normal life but I have. It takes time and anger is one way people deal with loss. As long as he does not take his anger out on you then just be there when he wants to talk about things. There isn't anything anyone can say to make a person who has had a loved one die feel better. Telling him that his mom would want him to be happy won't help. Everyone kept telling me that my son would want me to be happy and they just made me angry. Listening and lots of hugs will be the best way to help him.How do i comfort someone who has lost a parent?
I wish I knew what to tell you. My father died 6 months ago and it seems nothing anyone says or does really helps much. It just takes time to accept and adjust to life without your loved one.


All I can suggest is to always be there to listen to him and reassure him the best you can. It's not a problem anyone can help to fix. Everyone deals with it differently and on their own terms.


Two years does seem to be a long time though. It might help him to see a therapist, there may be other underlying issues involved.
It is the biggest lost in life. But of course you can be there as friend . Try to make him realise that it is the biggest loss but his mum would not be happy if he will be sad and angry but for her mum's sake he has to move on in life and do things her mother would have been proud off.
My husbands mom died over 2 years ago...he still has his moments....but what I have realized is that when he is feeling that way...all he really wants is a hug and a listening ear.....not for anyone to ';fix'; how he was feeling b/c no one can replace a mom (or anyone else that has died)...Just be a good listener...make eye contact...let him reminisce....and everything will be ok ...just give it time....and offer the shoulder he needs to lean on....Good luck!
Well, theres really nothing that you can do to deal with it and to help him with it.





He has to get passed it on his own, that is the only way, no amount of advice will help him in this situation.





The only thing to do is listen.
Give them a hug. Let him tell you about his mum as that is part of his healing process.
http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AmNJQBdnXY7_4Gi9JTPLmVbAFQx.;_ylv=3?qid=20090831085825AA6L4QB

No comments:

Post a Comment