Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What do you do for someone who's parent committed suicide?

My cousin's wife's father just committed suicide. I'm not that close to them, they live far away but they are still family to me. I feel like I should do something, but what would be the appropriate thing to do in this type of situation? I feel like sending flowers or a card or something just wouldn't be right? Has anyone had to go through this? What would be a good thing to do even if it is nothing? Please let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.What do you do for someone who's parent committed suicide?
You have to treat it like a death. You aren't close enough to her that you should be ';butting in'; and discussing anything related to why or how it happened. As said above, call or send a letter telling them that you're sorry for their loss and that you wish them the best in these times. Don't even acknowledge that fact that it was a suicide. You're in no position to really discuss that with them.What do you do for someone who's parent committed suicide?
my father commited suicide when I was 12 right after we had a huge fight and on top of that it was my brothers birthday which happens to be new years eve! I was very angry and upset there is nothing you can do to make someone in this situation feel better aside from letting them know your in their thoughts food helps too in the midst of such a tragedy people dont have time to cook or even think of eating unfortunatly its necessary for survival
Disregard the fact that suicide was involved. My grandfather committed suicide this past summer. Its a sudden unexpected loss. Cards, flowers, letters, phone calls, meals are all appreciated by the family. Anything you would feel appropriate doing for any other funeral is still the proper thing to do.
Write them a letter, I am sorry for your losses. If you live near them, usually its nice to make a meal. My mom works with autistic kids, and the boys mother was diagnosed with cancer. So they all brought over meals. like lasagna of something along the lines of that. Don't send flowers they are usually like break up i'm sorry, or congratulations of some sort. Good luck i hope this helped.
A card or letter is appropriate. If you need to send something, flowers are nice, but there are also blankets, statues, windchimes, or other mementos that will last a lot longer. Find out if there is a charity they want donations sent to %26amp; give from the heart in their name. If you have an email or phone number, get in touch with them. Love %26amp; support is what they need at a time like this. Hope I helped!!
A siicide in the family is horrible and disorienting. The best you can do is advise that professional help must be sought, if they have not planned to get some yet. Words of comfort will soothe, but the long-term impact of the suicide must be handled properly, beginning immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment