Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How can I afford to be a foster parent?

I realize that I will receive a per diem check at the end of every month that I foster a child. However, I need help affording the up front expenses of everything that any one child could need. Ex: diapers, formula, crib, high chair, bottles, toys, clothes jarred foods, etc. Since I don't know what age or sex child I might be caring for on any given day, I have no idea how to buy in anticipation. Yet, if I wait until I get a child to foster, I certainly will not be able to afford all that that child needs at the moment that I receive that child into my care. Is there some organization that can help me get everything that I need to provide for a foster child? If not, I will be beyond bankrupt, on my limited budget, trying to buy everything. Thanks!How can I afford to be a foster parent?
I was a social worker for a few years, and what I found was that when a child first comes to your home, the check you get is enough to cover the expenses. However, the longer the child stays there, the more the expenses get. The water bill goes up, the child wants to enroll in soccer and that takes $45, the clothes you bought with the money the state gave you are now in tatters, it costs more to go out to eat, the child makes new friends and gets invited to bday parties and has to have a gift, etc. The money the state gives is not enough to cover this. If you are on a limited budget, I would 'suggest' that you do something called 'emergency foster care.' That is, you take the kid/s when they are first taken from the home, and keep them for just a couple of days till a permanent foster care home is found. You will be reimbursed for this, but it will not cost you what it would cost to be a permanent foster home. Another option is, if you only took older kids, say 3 and up, that would reduce your expenses because you wouldn't have to have a crib, high chair, bottles, diapers, etc.How can I afford to be a foster parent?
Check on www.craigslist.com. Place an ad stating that you are starting a foster home and are looking for cribs, toddler beds, clothes for all ages and sexes. A lot of people are willing to give these items away for free or for little cost for situations like this. When I am done having children this is what I am planning to do with my baby items. Just check for recalls, and check all the slats on the crib to make sure they are safe.
My parents did foster care when I was in high school. Have you talked to anyone from the county you live in? They will come in an interview you to make sure you are suitable for foster care. They don't just place children in your home - you get to say yes or no depending on what you want to have. There are programs like WIC that you can get on and there are food banks that you should be eligible for too. As for other things you will have to front the cost and then they will reimburse you. Sometimes the child will come with some things - other times they come with the clothes on their back. Call the social services department in your area to get more information. good luck to you! we need more good foster homes!!
In some states they help you get some money up front for clothing and what not. It is only $50-$100. Other wise I would tell you to shop Goodwill or garage sales. If you have a friend who has kids you could borrow or get some items from them. The food and diapers there is no way to do it. You could save a bit up before you get a child to plan for it. BTW the amount of money is never enough to cover all that you spend on the child.
Well, there are clothing banks that can supply some of the clothing and stuff that you would need in that area. There are also ways to make baby food if you need it at a moments notice. (use your blender!) Baby formula in powder form lasts for a while so you could keep a can on hand at all times. As far as the other stuff, like furnature and things, you could go to yard sales or put ads in the paper. Also check churches. Sometimes people who have had kids would be willing to donate if you told them what it is your doing. There may also be places where you can get furnature at little or no cost. Call the county and ask the people in charge of foster care. They may be able to give you some hints. There are also ways to get around the things you would think of as necessities until you could afford it! Some examples are high chairs, just hold the baby and feed them that way or set them in their car seat. Measuring cups, rubbermade containers, lids and pans all make good toys for babies. New borns can sleep in a play pen until you can afford to get them a proper crib.
If you can't get these things by yourself, many times there are other foster parents who will give them to you. Many times, the state has these extra items available. I would say, if you see something that is on sale or at a garage sale for cheap, pick it up since you don't know what age you'll receive. Now, you'll have to keep an organizing system for clothing, etc. I always had labeled bins for sizes/gender of clothing. Know that you are doing something spectacular for a child! I applaud you!
the demand is so high for good faster homes , until u maybe able to go to the local DSS and they may have what is called start up money and that will help and also go to urlocal church but keep the faith i dont have money to send but i do have good strong prayers that I can send you.......................
I don't want to sound harsh. But if you can't afford to buy the necessities a child would need to live, you can't afford to be a foster parent.





My advice would be to wait until you are more financially secure before bringing a troubled child into your home. Foster kids need stability and predictability...not possible bankruptcy!
  • lips
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment