Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Children of divorce, did your parents use you to play one parent against the other?

I hear this happens sometimes. What effect has that had on you?Children of divorce, did your parents use you to play one parent against the other?
ABsolutely. My mother would call me all the time saying my Dad was hitting her, forcing her into sex. Blamed him for her alcoholism, all sorts of stuff. It was all made up. My Dad wasn't doing any of those things. She would always deny saying them by saying ';You're twisting my words, that's not what I said.'; She tried manipulating everyone any way she could think to do. I was engaged the same time they were going through their divorce. Oh I was pissed. I didn't allow my mother at my wedding. I even moved my wedding date and location to insure she didn't show up. It was horrible to go through. I'm talking to her again but under agreement that she can't discuss the divorce with me.





I've learned n ot to trust my mother at all. I also don't keep alcohol in my home. I don't want to take a chance of being anything like that.Children of divorce, did your parents use you to play one parent against the other?
Hi ! I gave counselling to a lady that was divorced with 4 children 11to 16 years old.


She was desperately unhappy and suicidal at times because of the husband`s abuse.


He had custody and did his utmost to turn the children`s mind`s against their mother.


It took me a few years before i got that lot sorted, and now the children are grown and see that the father was the villain and then i had to teach them not to hate their father but to forgive and move on. Probably my most arduous but successful Encouter.
In the beginning my father tried this but my mother never played that game. I never really minded that they were divorced. I understood it was better for me to grow up with two happy homes than one disfunctional one.
I'm 33 years old and my mother STILL uses me to try to get to my father 15 years after they separated.





It's made me rather resentful and distant of my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment